Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A hook in the hand is better than two in a bush.....





Ok, so maybe not, and really, who understood that old quote anyway? Besides, if you were to ask the two guides who came in with hooks in their hands this week, I think they would disagree...and tell you the hook was a lot more painful.

Since we are in the middle on nowhere out here, Boss Hack becomes Doc. Hack (and between you and me, I think he enjoys causing pain while removing hooks!) The first hand/hook was a few days ago - Batman came in with a number 6 (that is a really big hook!) caught between his pinky and ring finger. It was half in, and they had to use wire to pull the hook backwards and a pliers to pull it up at the same time so the barb wouldn't catch more of his hand. Kenny and Doc. Hack worked that surgery! Needless to say it was painful...I can still hear his screams in my head! Then today, John (AxMan) came in with a hook completely buried in his hand. John didn't yell like Batman, but boy did he swear! I felt bad. This time, they had to actually finish poking the hook through, cut the barb off the end, and then pull the hook back out.
I didn't watch, but I had to leave afterwards....I can't handle people being in pain - makes me light headed. (plus, I think I was holding my breath the whole time!)

And to think...at the beginning of the season I had serious doubts we would go through 3 giant containers of peroxide, 5 boxes of band aids, and 3 tubes of Neosporin!

The photos above are from John today. The first one is what the hook looked like....yep, that's right...all you can see is the top inch!
The second photo is Doc. Hack explaining how he is going to perform a "highly technical" procedure using a potato to push the hook through his hand the rest of the way. The third photo is starting the procedure, and the fourth is the barb being clipped off the end of the hook.

Dear God, let's hope I never have to come to see this doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment