Sunday, July 26, 2009

A few days in Ketchikan



















July 19-21: My trip into Ketchikan

With a few days off from the lodge, I went into Ketchikan with Jill and Linda.
Since Linda is a local, we knew every bartender in town by the time we left to return to the lodge. Besides hanging out at the Arctic Bar and meeting the locals, Jill and I got to walk around town, Creek Street (which was once the town's "red light" district where most of the buildings came with trap doors in the floors for bootlegged liquor that would come via boat up the river at high tide), and see the sites.


We also hiked Deer Mt. (but that is for another post!)


The first photo is the town sign, which is located amongst the tourist shops down by the cruise ship docks.
The second photo is my favorite view of the town, where you can see the homes on the hillside above the harbor.
The third photo is the Arctic Bar - famous for their "happy bears" logo.
The fourth photo is of the Gilmore hotel (where I stayed the first night I was in town) and Annabells, the local chowder house.
Lastly, a photo of Creek Street (at high tide). This is another one of my favorite areas of town. When the salmon start running it's fun to watch them, but it makes everything smell like dead fish!


That's all for now.

Love from AK!

No comments:

Post a Comment