Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Destination: Yes Bay

Many of you have been asking where I'll be living and working for the next 4 months. So, to end your curiosity, here are the details:

I'll be working (and living) at Yes Bay Lodge located 50 miles north of Ketchikan. It's a secluded fishing lodge that specializes in salt and fresh water fishing. It's accessible by plane or boat only. (The Jetta will stay with mom and dad.)


I'll be working as an Office Assistant 6 days a week in the lodge. My hours are 5 am to 1 pm. (Which should be interesting since I'm such a morning person!)


I would love to post some pictures from their website, but since I don't have permission to use them, I'll ask that you check out their website at http://www.yesbay.com/ Then stay tuned for some of my photos to come! The website also has a map showing the lodge's location from Ketchikan. I've included a general map of Alaska for your reference as well....that way, you'll at least know where Ketchikan is. (I swear, some of you think I'm headed to the arctic circle, so this should put things in perspective.)


I fly out of Minneapolis on Wednesday, May 27th at 1:30. I'll fly to Seattle, and from Seattle to Ketchikan. Both flights are approx. 2 hours each. From there, someone from the lodge will pick me up.
As much as I'm excited to get there and explore my new home, I'm very nervous to fly in the float plane. With my motion sickness, I would hate for my their first impression of me to be puking at the end of the dock! Let's pray it's a calm day.

Ketchikan averages 150" of rain each year and has average summer high temperatures of 65 degrees. In the middle of summer they will get 18 hours of sunlight and 6 hours of darkness. (Don't worry mom, I packed my jacket and galoshes.)
You should also note that Alaska is in it's own time zone.....3 hours behind Minnesota!

No, I won't have cable or cell phone service (unless I'm in Ketchikan), I will however have Internet.
So, you can reach me by:
Email: partygalsharon@gmail.com
facebook, Skype, or this blog!

Hope to hear from you!
~Sharon

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you today! I was at DSW and saw the cutest galashes (black and white plaid).
    Can't wait to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete