Monday, January 10, 2011

NYE Challenge: Week 1: Snowshoeing

1-10-11

For the first week of my New Year's Eve Challenge I went Snowshoeing. It's something that I've never done before, yet there are trails all over the area special-made for snowshoes. (Of course you can always blaze your own down/up a mountain, but I would need a better sense of direction to do that.)
Instead, I decided to check out a snowshoeing tour at the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery (located about a mile down the road from me). I was thinking this was going to be the cheesiest thing I've done since Maui's "Pineapple Express," but, thankfully, I was wrong.

The tour consisted of about 8 people, plus a hatery employee that was our guide, and lasted 2 hours. I had borrowed Dewey's snowshoes and he helped me fit them to my boots the night before. However, the hatchery provided snowshoes if you needed them, along with poles.
Not only was it a good experience in way of showing me some cross-country trails to check out next week, but I got to meet another lady from the area and learn of a few more snowshoe trails, and of course, I got to see and learn more about the fish hatery - which raises and releases Chinook (King) Salmon. After the tour I visited the Hatchery's Information Center and got to see the baby salmon and trout they will be releasing this spring.


Me, in Dewey's fancy snowshoes:

Sights along the trail, which went up Icicle Creek and intersected with The Sleeping Lady Resort's Cross Country Ski trails. (Can you see the "Sleeping Lady" in the mountain in the first photo?)

More views of snowshoeing

Checking out the baby fish and the holding tanks at the Fish Hatchery.

Until Next time - Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment