Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snowboarding at Steven's Pass

1-18-2011

Today I headed up to Steven's Pass with Dewey to do some snowboarding. We left around 8:30 and when we arrived 45 min. later, it was snowing on the mountain with temps in the 20s. - a great day to be enjoying the mountain! And testing out all my new gear!

I got to say hi to a few familiar faces from when I interviewed, and then got to check out where Dewey spends his days at work and meet some of his co-workers. I got set up with a Burton Snowboard. Not sure what the specs were - but it was purple - so it matched my outfit. (My insistence that my outfit "match" or "coordinate" has been a constant source of teasing between Dewey and I, so when he grabbed the purple board for me, I just had to smile. Later, when we were on the lift and I commented on the board matching my coat, he just looked at me and said "yeah, I know, that's why I grabbed that one for you.")

Once we had our gear, I insisted on going on the "easiest" run so I could refresh my memory on how to snowboard. We ended up going down the "Daisy" run about three times before Dewey got too bored and went off to harder runs. That was okay, as I just kept ridding the same green runs - practicing.
All together, I did pretty good. I only fell twice. (Which was a good thing, because warmer temps and rain the prior few days made the snow really HARD!)
Once Dewey met me again, he made me go down a few Blue runs with him before lunch. Again, didn't do too bad, and didn't really fall.

After lunch, we decided to try skiing, since neither of us had done that in 5-7 years! This was a BAD idea! First, I was getting tired from snowboarding, second, it's an entirely new set of "rules." Anyway, I made it down the green run, freaked out on the blue run, and then went back to the green. That's when I managed to get off the lift wrong, fall down and twist my knee. (I might have even heard a pop....) After that, a few tears, and a painful trip skiing down the bunny hill, we returned the skis and went home. 

I spent that evening and much of the following day on the couch with an ice pack to my knee. I should have just stopped when I was snowboarding and doing good instead of trying something new. Oh well. Hopefully my knee will get better in the next week so I can get back up the mountain. After all, the snowboarding was a lot of fun!

Until next time, thanks for reading - Sharon


I actually look like I know what I'm doing!

Check out my purple goggles! Too fun right!


Dewey, goofing around during a coffee break!

2 comments:

  1. In case you are interested, the link to Steven's Pass is:
    www.stevenspass.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I know I told some of you about my new mittens - just wanted to let you know, that for the first time in my life, my hands were warm all day! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete