Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fishing Adventures....


July 14, 2010


Yesterday, Nicky and I took the "Mable Derf" to the mouth of the bay to do some Halibut fishing. (The Mable Derf is a small tin, flat-bottom boat, with just a kicker motor on it. God knows what we would have actually done if we caught a big old Halibut! Anything over 50 lbs would have tipped the boat over and swam away with whomever was holding the rod.) Anyways, we got there, dropped our lines down 200 ft, and proceeded to get caught on each other's lines and then on the bottom. We ended up cutting both lines and going straight back to the lodge for different tackle. The worst part, Nicky took my weight and leader off of her dad's (Kevin's) boat. So, I had to tell the boss that I lost his tackle. Oops....good thing he was in a good mood yesterday. Then again, I could have a misc. deduction on my next paycheck!


In happier news, the other night I caught my first trout. We went fishing off the dock at 9:00 p.m. when Nicky and I got off work. We were just using spin rods and herring for bait. Usually, you can see some big trout swimming around down there, especially since they are used to getting scraps from when the guides clean their fish. Anyways, my little trout was smaller than the herring we were using for bait. It was a cute little Dolly Varden and I threw it back. Next time I'll work on catching a keeper.


I've included a photo of Nicky, my fishing partner, running her "Mable Derf".


- Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment