Friday, June 10, 2011

The Sleeping Lady

The Sleeping Lady Mountain - where our resort got its name! (can you see her laying down - the highest peak is her nose....)

Hey everyone - Sorry its been awhile - guess life took off and got busy on me! Oops. Anyway, here are a few posts from the last few months to get you up-to-speed on what is happening with me, out here in Leavenworth, WA.

First: April 2011

The best and brightest part of April was that I accepted a job at The Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort to Manage and Buy for their Mercantile and Gift Shop. I have been working at the Resort in the Kingfisher Restaurant since January, and Art Woods, my Food and Beverage Manager, recommended me to the General Manager for the position.  I was lucky enough to be offered the position, and of course, I said yes! It's my dream job! Are you kidding - shopping/buying/merchandising and working with people all day! Sweet!  Not to mention, I have a wonderful boss, Paula, and just about the best co-workers and employees you could ever imagine! I am so blessed!
So, you can now find me on Tuesdays - Friday at the Mercantile (or driving my golf cart back and forth to the gift shop, from the mercantile, at the resort- since the two stores are located in two separate locations), and then Fridays and Saturday nights at the Kingfisher Restaurant!

In addition to buying and merchandising for the two stores, I'm also able to work with local artists, craftsmen and jewelers to consign and display their art and handiwork. This has given me an opportunity to meet many new individuals in the community, but brought some unexpected challenges as well. My newest consigner, is a watercolor artist from Seattle who is displaying 7+ pieces in The Grotto (the resort's bar, and yet another location!).

If you are interested in learning more about the resort, check out the website: www.sleepinglady.com
The resort itself is a very unique property, not only how it is set-up, but I'm proud to say, is also a "B Corporation" which means that it is a recognized "eco-friendly" business. This is a standard that the entire resort lives everyday with each decision we make. (To give an example, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream is another B-Corp).
Having come from working with these same goals while at The Occasions Group, I was excited to be able to work with a "green" company again.
Needless to say, we carry a lot of recycled, eco-friendly and fair-trade products in our gift shop!



The front of the Mercantile. On the right side of the building is the Mercantile and on the left side is O'Grady's Pantry.

Books and Jewelry are some of our best sellers!



More merchandise



Clothing, hats, scarves and purses in the Mercantile

Inside O'Grady's Pantry, which shares the same building with the Mercantile. They are an all-natural deli & Coffee shop serving the best Vanilla Lattes I've ever had. The wonderful ladies have mine ready each morning when I get to work!


The backyard seating behind the Mercantile and O'Grady's - a great place to have lunch and catch some sun before going back to work!


Another view of the backyard seating. The building in the background is my office, and on the other side, the maintenance shed and maintenance offices.

The Sleeping Lady Front Desk and Gift Shop

Merchandise at the Gift Store



The front of Kingfisher Restaurant and Magpie's Wine Bar where I waitress on Friday and Saturday nights. Next time you are in the area, come out to eat - We feature a gourmet buffet, salad and desert bar, plus approx. 50 different wines! There is outdoor seating in back and much of the food is either grown in our greenhouses or purchased locally!











No comments:

Post a Comment