Monday, June 13, 2011

A Visit from Mom

On Friday, May 13th I went to SeaTac (the Seattle airport) to pick up mom who came out for a few days to visit me! SO EXCITED!

After I found her wandering around baggage claim (Haha - just kidding mom!) I took her on the scenic route of Hwy 2 over Steven's Pass, back to Leavenworth.
I had so much fun showing her around town, The Sleeping Lady, where I work, the different parks, drives, cute little shops in town, and restaurants, the time went way too fast!

That same weekend she was here, the city was holding their May-Fest Celebration - which took place downtown in the Bavarian Village. There was "Art in the Park," a parade of Bernese Mountain Dogs, dancers in traditional dress who performed ethnic dances and the traditional May-pole dances, as well as live music in the gazebo.

So, of course, we went downtown to walk through all the shops and stores. There were several I had never been into before and mom and I had fun exploring and seeing all the wares. She found raspberry jelly for Lance, purple taper candles for Amanda's wedding, and some fabulous jewelry and a scarf for herself. Then we went to the fudge and taffy shops, the wineries and The CheeseMonger, and it was all down-hill from there. Needless to say, I now make regular, weekly, stops to the Leavenworth Taffy Shop for their "sassy salt-water taffy."
Of course, it rained almost the entire time mom was here so we couldn't sit on the patio, play pickle-ball, or enjoy an evening bon-fire, but we had lots of fun with other stuff - like going to the craft store in Wenatchee and spending hours looking at their craft ideas and deciding which to buy!
Oh, and the Apple trees around Leavenworth were still in bloom while mom was here and we were able to take a short drive to see some of the orchards and all of the trees in bloom - so very pretty!

On Tuesday we went back to Seattle to do some shopping and stay over night as mom's flight left Wed. in the early morning. I don't do much shopping these days as I work most of the time, not to mention, I haven't had someone to shop with in what seems like years - so it was such a treat to have mom beside me in the mall laughing, talking and helping me pick out shirts for work!
We also looked for "mother's" dresses, but didn't have much luck.

When mom had to leave on Wed, it was very hard to say goodbye.....and I feel like I am doing that a lot lately!

~Sharon

Scenes from the Parade - dancers in costume coming down the street.

The May Pole dance!

Bernese Mountain Dogs - part of the earlier parade through town. (So Cute!)

Every morning at 9:30 this guy stands up on the balcony of the Enzian Inn, in full costume, and plays a tune on his horn.

No comments:

Post a Comment