Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Adventures in White Water Kayaking

June 5, 2011

I have to make the most of a day off, so since I was done golfing around 1, I made plans to do some white water kayaking in the afternoon.

I was able to rent gear (wetsuit, booties, helmet, PFD) from Leavenworth Mountain Sports. Which is a FABULOUS, locally/family owned business here that really knows their stuff about any, and all, the outdoor sports there are in the area, super helpful staff, and just all-around great people. If you are ever in the area and need hooked-up with anything "outdoor" related, I highly recommend them!
That is actually how this trip came about - I checked out LMS' website and then called and talked to them about a kayaking trip and they hooked me up with Lester.

We hit the river for our first run around 4:30/5 o'clock. It was a short run with rock'n rapids that is really safe should you end up "swimming" (which I did, on multiple occasions.) The river has great conditions this summer, as it's still running at 10,000 cf/s whereas it's normally down around 5,000 by now. (or so I've been told) Which means bigger rapids/waves and fun! We ended up running the river twice, the second time around 6.
As it turns out, several other kayaking friends showed up too, and 4 of the other guys just happen to be experienced rafting guides, so I felt pretty safe!
The key to this, is always have your kayak's nose pointing to the big wave in front of you, should you take the wave to the side of the boat, you flip over. Yup - lesson learned.
It also sounds and looks a whole lot scarier than it really is - in fact, it was a wicked-awesome time!
Check out my pixs:

Susan and Lester. Susan just bought her own boat this year, and loves to run the river every chance she can get. Lester, is the poor soul who said he would watch out for me and be my "guide" on our trip. He did a great job! Kudos! (yes, I would look worried if I were in your shoes too)

Me, at the park before the adventure. I was pretty nervous - I had to take some pepto bismol to get my stomach settled before I left home. After all, this run was pretty scary in a 6-man raft and I'm about to do it in a tiny little, blow up, kayak! All by myself!

Yep - here are those kayaks - getting aired up!

Two of the other guides and Susan. Looks like my camera got a little wet. That must have been because I had just tipped over and made it back up into my kayak before taking this picture.

Lester - who managed to pull me out of the water on numerous occasions, and even had to give me a lift after I lost my boat trying to "surf" one of the waves. (which I totally didn't mean to do!)
Getting back into these boats is a lot like getting back on a tube after tubing at the lake - you are tired, sore, and it's a helluva workout! (only here you have more weight, thanks to your wetsuit and gear!)

Photo taken after swimming "Grannies Panties" (a set of rapids so named because they are big and white). Yes, I managed to flip over - again!

Here we go!

Phew - I made it out alive!

Three of the other guys who ran the river with us. (all are guides for various companies out here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment