Sunday, July 26, 2009

Deer Mt
















July 20, 2009 - My attempt at Deer Mt.
While I was in Ketchikan I promised Jill (my roommate, the lodge baker, and expert hiking fanatic) that I would hike Deer Mt with her. (WOW - BIG mistake!)
The hike up the mountain starts at the edge of town, and is about 2.5 miles to the top. There is an overlook 1 mile up, the second mile is a marked trial, and the rest is somewhat of a trail, but more up to you. However, on a clear day, you can see out over the whole town and I guess it's a spectacular view. You also get to have a snowball fight at the top if you want since there is still snow up there.

However, the day we choose to hike, it was pouring rain all day. Jill and I were staying at a hostel on the opposite end of town, so by the time we left (at 8 am), grabbed coffee on the way, and made it to the trail head, it was about 10 and we were soaking wet!
Oh well....time to hike. Well, the hike was all up hill of course, and I had to stop about every 10 minutes to catch my breath. Not only was it cold and non-stop rain, but we couldn't see anything because of the fog. (This is the point where I've classified hiking with running in the "things I don't like to do, but do anyways for the sake of a nice butt, or not being a fun hater.")
So, I made it to about the 2 mile overlook and turned around. (Sorry Jill!) Maybe next time with better weather I can be convinced to keep going.

The hike itself was pretty good - it was a well-kept trail (a lot of shale rock) and logs to create steps on the steep parts. It was very wet and would have been even without the rain since the water runs down the mountain along the trail. (I would recommend a pair of Xtra Tuff boots for the hike!)
I've posted a few photos of the hike - enjoy.
(The first photo is the trail, the second is of a small waterfall. The third is looking into the forest down the mountain. The fourth is the trail map and the fifth is Jill and I!)

Love from AK!

No comments:

Post a Comment